The Men’s league Soccer or MLS is one the prominent football leagues in the United States. Comprising of 23 teams, the MLS is procuring a steady fanbase in a non-football crazy country. From the likes to David Beckham to Zlatan Ibrahimović, MLS has seen a rise of global footballers.
Signings are a vital part to strengthen a football team. Clubs spend truck loads of money to acquire the services of a footballer. Now clubs can get many footballers but signing a marquee player increases the club’s strength tenfold. It even strikes an imposing fear in the hearts of the opponents.
MLS has seen an increase of these marquee signings in the past few years. The summer transfer window is an ideal opportunity for the coach to reassess the squad and add more players.
Let’s take a look at the top 5 summer signings in the MLS:
- Guillermo Barros Scheloto- A former Boca Juniors legend, Guillermo Barros Scheloto, joined MLS in 2007. He joined the Columbus Crew team and became their most successful player. With 73 games under his belt, the Argentinian had 24 goals and 33 assists in his career with the Crew. He was also named the 2008 MVP.
- Robbie Keane- a part of the LA Galaxy which included the duo of David Beckham and Landon Donovan, the three players wreaked havoc on the pitch. A vital part of the Galaxy team, Keane ended up scoring 104 goals in 165 matches for the team. He was also named the MVP in 2014.
- Didier Drogba- one of the most prolific signings of MLS, Montreal Impact roped in Ivorian and Chelsea great Didier Drogba. Although staying just one year with Montreal, he was named the MLS Player of the Month. After one year Drogba moved to Phoenix Rising FC.
- Jermaine Jones- A former Germany man, Jones joined New England Revolution in 2014. He was picked up in a blind draw by the New England. A vital part of the team, Jones helped New England reach the MLS Cup finals. He later moved to the Colorado Rapids in 2016.
- Nicolas Lodeiro- A champion in Argentina, Nicolas Lodeiro joined the Seattle Sounders in 2016. He was instrumental in the Sounders MLS cup victory in 2016. He has quickly become an integral part of the Sounders squad and has been hailed as one of the best signings for Seattle.